Do you know someone who deserves a Governor General’s Award in Visual and Media Arts?
You could help determine who is a 2017 laureate by submitting a nomination or by encouraging an eligible nominator to do so (see "Am I eligible to nominate" to see who can be a nominator). Since 1999, the Canada Council has honoured over 100 extraordinary men and women with its national awards – the Governor General’s Awards in Visual and Media Arts.
"[I]n terms of reputation and official recognition, the annual Governor General’s Awards in Visual and Media Arts, doled out by the Canada Council for the Arts, remain the ultimate acknowledgement of a Canadian artist’s career." -- Canadian Art
Information/guidelines: Available April 1, 2016
Nomination deadline: June 1st, 2016
What are the award categories?
- Artistic career achievements in visual arts and media arts (includes painting, sculpture, performance art, film and video art). Up to six awarded each year.
- Outstanding contributions to contemporary visual and/or media arts (past winners have included art critics, curators, art administrators, advocates). One awarded each year to an individual or a group.
- Saidye Bronfman Award for excellence in the fine crafts. One awarded each year.Am I eligible to nominate?
Am I eligible to nominate?
In order to nominate, you must be a recognized Canadian specialist in the visual or media arts or fine crafts, such as:
- the director (current or former) or a member of the board of directors of a Canadian museum, public gallery, cinematheque or artist-run centre
- a director of an association of professional visual and (or) media artists or fine craftspersons or a national service organization in the visual arts, media arts or fine crafts
- the dean or principal responsible for studies in the visual and/or media arts or fine crafts at a Canadian university or art college, or a professor at such an institution
- a Canadian private dealer in visual and/or media arts or fine crafts an established visual and/or media arts or fine crafts critic or curator
- a professional visual artist, media artist or fine craft artist.
Visual Arts Section
Telephone: 1-800-263-5588 (toll-free) or 613-566-4414, ext. 5265
Media Arts Section
Telephone: 1-800-263-5588 (toll-free) or 613-566-4414, ext. 5203
Program Officer (Saidye Bronfman Award)
Visual Arts Section
Telephone: 1-800-263-5588 (toll-free) or 613-566-4414, ext. ext. 5269
Canada Council for the Arts
150 Elgin Street, PO Box 1047
Ottawa ON K1P 5V8